Know who I love?
This guy
Nummy.
I do love me some conflict in characters and Loki is the most 3-dimensional villain I've seen in a while.
Edit:
Ok I had to update because I just can't stop thinking about this character. So spoilery things beyond this post and if you haven't watched Thor or the Avengers, go. Really. Go. If only to see hot boys.
You watched yet?
No? All right but don't say I didn't warn you.
The Avengers was great fun as a movie. Yes I'm a Joss Whedon fan and have been since I stumbled on the first Buffy movie at 10 years old. That's 20 years, so I have some street cred there. And he wrote Titan A.E. Did you know that? How awesome was that movie? Ok back to the Avengers. Personally, I think Tom Hiddleston was a great choice as an actor, so I just have to thank Kenneth Brannah for that one. Hiddleston makes the character far more complex than I think another actor could have. There's such subtlety that I can't stop going through the character, which is really what's driving this. I have to get it out of my head.
See, I realize that in still pictures, Hiddleston looks a bit like my ex which makes me wonder why I like him so much. Then I see a clip and realize it's the character I'm drawn to, not the actor (more specifically the way the character is portrayed and written rather than the actor's physical appearance). It's a mix of brashness covering inherent self doubt, a cry for attention, lashing out at himself and family (his birth as a frost monster vs his upbringing as an Asgardian), in addition to his innate sense of mischief. And Hiddleston plays all of it. He never lets you forget that Loki is inherently a good character trapped by his own mistakes. You can see it in the talks with his brother, Thor, in the flashbacks with the army (he is threatened and cannot back down even when you see the doubt about the plan in his eyes), and in the righteous anger (the whole "kneel to me" thing.).
The heroes and villains in superhero movies are rarely complex. Thor is a hardheaded arrogant god who is taught the lesson of humility and compassion. Capt. America wants to serve his country and doesn't seem to be much deeper than that. Tony Stark is, in his words, "a billionaire, playboy, philanthropist" who is brilliant but will do the "good" thing in the end (he's my favorite of the heroes). Red Skull was stereotypical Nazi scumbag, and most of the others are barely memorable. I'm not saying some of them weren't interesting characters, but no one has the depth of Loki.
Ok, I think I'm done now. Going to start daydreaming again.

Now, I can comment. Thanks, dumplin'!!!
ReplyDeleteNo problem!
ReplyDelete