I'm going to try to make this coherent.
For one thing, I'm glad the office today has banned discussion of politics. It makes me much happier. For one thing, the gun-happy, Obama-hating people around me are forced to shut the heck up. On the other hand, having this kind of strict cultural divide limits actual talking about problems; gun violence being one of them.
But that's exactly the problem. Polarization on both ends leads to incredibly vocal people acting as if they're in the best interest of the majority, but they manifestly are NOT. I do not want to spend all this money bolstering failing social programs but I also don't want to leave people in the cold. I'm middle of the road and feel like an endangered species. I would like people to start talking about safety programs for abandoned children. I'd like sex ed (actual sex ed, not abstinence) in schools so we stop having "unwanted" kids to begin with. I would love for people with mental illness to get to kind of help they need.
The biggest problem I have with government/society is the complete ignoring of lessons from history. We know that when people are better informed, they make better decisions. So why do we teach abstinence only sex ed when we know it doesn't work? (know, as in from studies and basic knowledge of human nature)
Why do we ban abortions and birth control when we know pregnancies can be life threatening and forcing women to have an unwanted kid adds to their stress, potential trauma to the child, and rising crime from a generation raised on apathy and "speshulness"
Why do we talk about banning guns and putting people in jail but we don't try to help the people with the mental illness that puts them in that position in the first place?
Why do we blame a President for the failings of government when the failings (and rights-undermining legislation and corporate lobbying and....) have been going on for longer than a generation?
I can't even make this funny. I can't talk about it, but I can write it here.
Amen, Baby Grrl.
ReplyDelete